Saturday, February 23, 2008

Long week of vet visits and puppy poop

My favorite thing is a sleeping puppy.

So, it has been a long week. My foster Bert started to leak urine constantly on Sunday. So I moved up my vet appt from Wed to Mon. They took a urine sample, a blood sample and skin samples to try and figure out what was going on. Well, an hour later we knew it wasn't diabetes or a urinary tract infection. But he did have a staph skin infection and a yeast infection. He got some strong antibiotics (which cause diarrhea) but are working on his skin. I switched his food, but he has not been gaining wait. So, the blood work came back and no huge signs of any disease. So, we decided to check him for Cushing's disease. Well, the results came back last night and he does not have Cushing's. So, I am monitoring his water intake for the whole weekend. The next thing is diabetes insipidis. I could have sworn I asked about this right away and was told, No, but maybe they thought I just meant plain old diabetes. Well, anyway, I feel bad for him because he looks so sad all the time.

So in other news, the puppy likes to poop and pee everywhere. We thought we were doing a good job of potty training, but now I am not so sure. I think A and I are so used to potty training for a few days and then we are done, cause they are mostly adult dogs that we re-train when they come to live with us. But not a puppy. It is going to take quite a long time to train him, I think we have realized. Parker has had quite a few visits this week. Its fun to visit a puppy and then go home and sleep all through the night. After 7 more weeks I will be very happy when I will place Parker in his new home. The living room is a constant disaster, I mean the puppy has only a 3 second attention span. At least he likes the toys, otherwise I would have a chewed up couch, shoes, blankets, etc.

2 comments:

Marginwalker said...

The pictures are awesome! You're doing a great job with both fosters. :) L

Mary said...

Oh I found you on somebody's blog and saw Bert. Man... he's just adorable!! His face sort of reminds me of my ol' Elsie Belle, always looked a little sad. I give you a A plus for taking in a puppy, bless your heart!!;