Thursday, January 31, 2008

Petey - he was a good foster




Petey - he was a good foster, but we had some difficult times with Petey. I drove all the way to Tomah to pick Petey up. Some volunteers in Chippewa Falls sprung him from the shelter up there and transported him down to Tomah to meet me. I brought my friend with to keep me company for the ride. Well, Petey decided to crap all over the back of my Jeep Cherokee. It smelled SO bad, like a dead animal. And of course, he didn't crap near Madison, but one exit after we jumped on 90 right outside Tomah. We had to drive almost 2 hours with the windows down, in cold weather, smelling bad shelter dog crap. I will never forget that day. Neither will my friend. She hasn't gone on a GABR road trip with me since.

Well, Petey had a nickname, or 2. His first nickname was Petey Houdini. This was because I crated him before I left for work in a wire crate and threw a blanket on the top of the crate for darkness and warmth. When I came home for lunch to check on Petey, I walked over to the crate, lifted the balnket and Petey was gone. GONE! Where is the world was he. My heart stated to beat fast, I was in shock. I turned around, and there was Petey, sitting behind me wagging his tail. It was amazing to me that he could escape the crate and the blanket, and leave it all in tact. I think somehow he squeezed through the corner opening. It must have hurt.

Petey's other nickname was , Space Petey. This is an unforgettable story about Petey. Well, my other foster at the time was Beau. Beau and Petey were playing pretty hard in the living room. All of a sudden I was splattered with a little bit of blood. I was like, what?!? Beau had caught the end of Petey's ear and spilt it. There was blood everywhere. I called the vet and got him in right away. He got 5 stitches on his ear. Then they wrapped his ear in medical gauze and tape. Well, he kept itching his ear and skaing it and the tape and gauze did not stay. So, because I had no other choice, I duct taped his ear down to his head, so that it would heal faster, without him shaking it all the time. The duct tape was silver, hence, "Space Petey" (see the pic below). After a week, I was supposed to check his ear to see if it had healed. I was sure that Petey was going to bite me as I pulled the tape off. I mean I ripped off half his fur with the tape. But, no he just wiggled and gave out alot of kisses.

I do miss Petey. He was beautiful, reverse brindle. He currently lives in Depere with a mom, dad and 4 fur-less brothers who love him very much.

No comments: